Walkin' With the Wild Woman

Come go for walk with the Wild Woman and see what you will find .....

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Slinging Brass With 2 Vets Arms!



Recently I reentered the world of the shooting sports. I’d been away from the firearm industry and from the shooting sports for a number of years, for a variety of reasons; but thanks to some modern miracles of medicine, a good surgeon, and a great occupational therapist I found myself ready to head back to the range. 

During my quest to restock my gun safe and immerse myself in the shooting sports again, I met Tom Younce, Owner of Second Amendment Guns in Jackson, MO.
Tom and I hit it off instantly – what impressed me was not only his strong commitment to customer service, but his willingness to work with a female customer. 

Unfortunately, I can’t say that many of the other gun dealers I contacted and talked with were as willing to help a female shooter. When I recently purchased a varmint rifle for my husband’s 60th birthday, Younce made the almost 150 mile round trip drive to hand deliver it to my door with a birthday note attached. Insuring that it arrived exactly on my husband’s birthday, with no delays.  Now, that’s the kind of customer service that made our nation a prosperous one, and the kind of customer service we see far too little of in today’s big box store, get the cheapest deal, world.

When Tom reached out to me about a new company he was working with - 2Vets ArmsCompany – and asked if I would be willing to field test its flagship 2VA68 AR15 6.8 SPC II Rifle I jumped at the chance. A quick flurry of phone calls and email introductions and I was on pin and needles waiting for 2 Vets Arms flagship 2VA68 6.8 SPC II Rifle to arrive. In turn, I reached out to one of my friends and strong supporters of women in the shooting sports, our community’s Chief of Police, Jason Schlesinger. While   I was on a quest for a modern hunting rifle, “The Chief” was on a quest for a platform that could easily be adapted to a more tactical law enforcement environment.  

There were several factors that encouraged me to work with 2 Vets Arms on this project; as an advocate for women in the hunting, shooting and outdoor sports, I was especially pleased to learn that 2 Vets Arms is female owned company. A female veteran owned company. A disabled female veteran owned company.  I am disabled shooter myself, due to Multiple Sclerosis. There were too many commonalities between this company and myself to let this opportunity pass by. This was a company that I knew after the first introduction I wanted to work alongside.   

2 Vets Arms Company, LLC is a Female Service-Connected Disabled Veteran Owned Business (SDVOB) that specializes in developing and building high performance custom rifles for American patriots with an emphasis on serving the US Military Veteran and those actively serving in the US Armed Forces.

While there are a lot of weapons manufactures in this industry 2 Vets Arms Company is committed to offering their customers premium, custom made firearms at highly competitive prices while at the same time supporting our honored military veterans by contributing a portion of the proceeds from every sale to veteran support organizations like GallantFew and American Women Veterans.

Amber Brandly; Co Founder and Chief Executive Officer for 2 Vets Arms    is a US Army combat veteran who served during Operation Iraqi Freedom as an Army Intelligence Analyst. She has a bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from the University of Oklahoma. Amber is an avid hunter and lives in Oklahoma with her husband Dean and their two boys.

Partnered with Amber is Dean Brandly- Co founder and Chief Operating Officer; Dean is a US Army combat veteran who served during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Dean is a combat Infantryman who served as a Sniper/Sniper Team Leader and Joint Fires Observer. As the Chief Operating Officer, you’ll find Dean “in the trenches” overseeing the day to day operations of the company, weapons manufacturing and assembly as well as leading our Research and Development efforts.

My family is filled with both veterans and active duty military. A female veteran owned company, with a strong commitment to our service members seemed the perfect fit. 

Amber Brandly, CEO of 2 Vets Arms shared a bit of the background on the test model that I would be receiving.
“After a tremendous amount of research and testing by the 2 Vets Arms Co team we are excited to announce the availability of our custom AR platform rifles chambered in 6.8 SPC II calibers. The 6.8 SPC (6.8x43mm) was initially developed by the United States Army Marksmanship Unit’s MSG Steve Holland and Chris Murray who were tasked by JSOC and the 5th Special Forces Group in 2001 to make a caliber that offers superior downrange lethality over the 5.56 NATO/.223 Remington in an AR pattern service rifle with minimal loss of magazine capacity and a negligible increase in recoil. When built to the level of precision 2 Vets Arms Co requires the 6.8 SPC is also capable of outstanding accuracy and reliability.
The match-grade, Spec II chambered 16", 18", and 20" barrels. The 6.8 SPC is capable of pushing a .277 caliber, 85gr bullet to over 2900 FPS. 110gr bullets easily achieve 2500 FPS with factory loaded ammunition. Appropriate hand loading can achieve even higher velocities and enable the use of heavier projectiles up to 130 grains, which dramatically improves terminal ballistics over a 5.56 NATO/.223 Remington at long range.
This added ballistic performance makes the 6.8 SPC perfect for home protection and SRT/SWAT teams. The 6.8 is a truly ideal hunting round for medium to heavy game and turns the AR into a serious hunting rifle. “ 

 Turns the AR into a serious hunting rifle.  

That’s exactly what I was looking for. A platform that could take  me from the coyote filled strip mine hills to the herds of invasive and destructive feral hogs, and beyond. 

 Soon the much anticipated delivery day arrived.  Once again Younce showed his commitment to not only outstanding customer service, but his wholehearted belief in the 2 Vets Arms Company by making the drive across the river from gun friendly Missouri to not so gun friendly Illinois. 

The Chief's first look
“The Chief” and I were literally waiting at the end of my driveway for Younce when he arrived. After introductions all around, we unpacked and began the initial once over of the 2VA68 6.8 SPC II Rifle. 
  
The specs on the model we received:
  • ·       20" free floated 416 stainless steel barrel
  • ·        Proprietary gas system with low pro gas block
  • ·       Rifle length free float quad rail on a Side charged upper receiver
  • ·       Magpul CTR mil-spec 6-position butt stock
  • ·       Magpul grip and trigger guard,
  • ·       National match two stage trigger
  • ·       Wrapped  with A-TACS cammo that was done by Southern Draw Hydroprinting.
  • ·       Nikon Prostaff Scope 

As anxious I was to just grab it and start shooting; always safety first. I had not shot an AR15 before; and both Younce and the Chief insisted on a full on familiarization and mini safety course before allowing me to begin using the rifle.  

Once satisfied that I had received the proper instruction, the Chief and I couldn’t stand it any longer. Luckily I live in rural enough area that we could set up a mini target range at the edge of the field behind my house. 

The Chief Couldn't wait to get started!

Schlesinger took his turn first; running the 2VA68 6.8 SPC II Rifle through his typical more tactically oriented routine. He quickly was listing all the positives about the 6.8 SPC II Rifle to Younce. “This is an extremely well built, balanced, and easy handling weapon. I can see how this could be a great addition to any law enforcement agency’s line up. ”
Schlesinger was hosting the monthly meeting of area Police Chiefs later that week and was anxious to introduce to the other law enforcement agencies during the upcoming meeting. 

“I think there will be some very interested officers looking at this” said Schlesinger. 

With a teasing grin, the Chief handed me the weapon to start the official testing.  “There ya go girl – I think you’re going to love this.”  And love it I did. 

Oh Yeah!.. this  was just right for me!


Immediately I noted how light and easy to carry the 2VA68 6.8 SPC II Rifle was. I’m pretty sure I’ve carried handbags heavier than this model.  First high mark – this would not be a cumbersome, heavy, nor tiring model to carry in the field. As I got into position next to a tree in an effort to simulate a hunting situation, second high mark – the adjustable butt stock made it easily fit my smaller frame and shorter arms. The Chief and I are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum in size, height, and strength, but the 2VA68 6.8 SPC II Rifle easily adapted to fit both of us. This ability to adjust is a big plus for a family that might want to share this model, or for a law enforcement agency with a variety of staff that would be using the 6.8 SPC II Rifle.

Let the shooting begin! 

Based on the laughing and finger pointing by my cohorts that morning – it would seem that I had a look of utter amazement on my face – it would also seem I might have shouted “HOLY CRAP – there is no recoil whatsoever!” 

The battle was on – I did not want to let the Chief have another turn. I must admit, my first magazine full was not the most accurate; that problem was quickly solved with some minor adjustments to the Nikon Prostaff scope for my ridiculously poor vision and trifocal eyeglasses. Once the proper adjustments were made; I was consistently grouping shots in a spot the size of silver dollar or as the Chief joked “She’s pretty good at giving the zombie a frontal lobotomy isn’t she? We may have to start calling her Melon Popper.” 

Second Amendment Guns thoughtfully provided us with an ample supply of Sellier and Bellot 6.8mm Rem Spc PTS ammo. Because I was most interested in the hunting aspect; this seemed the ideal ammo to use in a test. The PTS bullet is the result of efforts of hunting cartridge designers to develop bullet with high wounding effects preserving concurrently excellent ballistic values. The bullet with lead core is covered with strengthening casing and furnished with polymer tip. Optimum shape enables the bullet to achieve higher speed and trajectory stability. These characteristics ensure excellent accuracy and wounding capability of the bullet that remains compact even at the moment of the strike, it does not shatter and it does not impair game.  PTS bullets extend the range of rifle cartridges used for hunting and they extend possibilities of optimum choice for various kinds of use.

The2VA68  6.8 SPC II Rifle was easily maneuverable to a variety of shooting positions that I would encounter in the field; from prone, sitting, standing, and concealed by brush and woodlands.   The trigger pull was smooth, and the light weight enabled me to easily hold it with one hand while quickly swapping the magazine. Shooting from distances increasing from 50 – 150 yards I noticed little to no decline in accuracy. Straight out of the case, I was sold. This was an AR15 I knew wanted in my safe. I could quickly tell that it’s superior build, lightweight, and accuracy would make this perfect modern hunting rifle for a variety of situations I would encounter. 

Sadly, we experienced terrible wet and stormy weather during the entire testing period so I wasn’t able to actually get out the field and try my hand at reducing the coyote population using this modern hunting rifle. 

We were however able to perform a more detailed bench testing at Schlesinger’s home range, including an additional shooter.  Again, high marks all the way around. 

Ladies first! 


A local veteran and firearm enthusiast gives it good once over


And of course the Chief  took his turn !

Here’s why you will be wanting to contact Mr. Younce at Second Amendment Guns to place your order for this well built, light weight, easily maneuverable, versatile modern 2VA68 6.8 SPC II hunting rifle.
  • Lightweight and fully adjustable for a variety of user sizes, strength, and endurance levels            
  • Outstanding accuracy at tested distances of 50 – 200 yards
  • Versatility in use and application from a serious hunting rifle, home defense, and tactical SRT/SWAT team use.  
  • Superior build quality and durability in harsh conditions.
  • Availability of customization option to make this truly a gun built just for you.
  • Manufactured in the United States by a Veteran owned and operated business withhigh attention to customer service, dedication to our service members, and detail. 




To learn more about the 2 Vets Arms Company’s meteoric rise on the AR platform scene or to place an order for this superb modern hunting rifle; contact Tom Younce at SecondAmendment Guns and ask for the scoop on the flagship 2VA68 6.8 SPC II Rifle! 

Special Thanks to Tom Younce, Second Amendment Guns, and 2Vets Arms for giving me this great opportunity! 


3 comments:

Looks like you had a fun time! I'm pleased to learn about a company like 2 Vets Arms. Awesome!
 
Looks like the only thing missing is some matching camo for the Nikon.
Sorry my Obsessive Camouflage Disorder you know.

What kind of price tag does it carry or has that not been determined yet ?
 
Oh !
Just noticed the picture at the top, flash suppressor has matching camo.
I like that.
 

Post a Comment